Crystalline stilbene is an organic scintillator used for radiation detection and is well-suited for discrimination between fast neutrons and a gamma-ray background. A fast neutron is one with kinetic energy above approximately 1 MeV. Fast neutron counting, spectroscopy, and imaging have applications in medicine, research, defense, and homeland security.
Inrad Optics produces stilbene using a proprietary low-temperature solution growth technology. This method yields high-quality, low-stress, large form factor material. All stilbene crystal growth, fabrication, and polishing is performed at our Northvale, NJ facility, ensuring complete traceability and satisfaction with every single crystal.
l Direct detection of fast neutrons
1. Stilbene is highly sensitive to fast neutrons, hence they do not need to be moderated to lower energies to be detected
2. Stilbene takes advantage of the low background of fast neutrons for low-noise measurements
3. Detection of unmoderated neutrons preserves information about neutron trajectories and energies
l Excellent discrimination between neutrons and gamma rays
1. Facilitates counting fast neutrons without false positives from gamma rays
2. Permits use of lower energy thresholds than liquid scintillators
l Safe and Easy to Handle and Transport
1. Solid, non-hygroscopic, not flammable, not hazardous
2. Unpackaged stilbene is stable
3. Avoids the transportation, storage, and handling concerns of many liquid organic scintillators